If you ever visit Tokyo, please do visit one of the best sushi in Tokyo – SushiZanmai. One of their secrets to deliver great sushi is continuously buying the most expensive fishes from the famous Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo.
Bluefin tuna is usually the most expensive fish available at Tsukiji, the biggest fish and wholesale seafood market in the world.
A single piece of “otoro”, or the fish’s fatty underbelly, can cost up to several thousand yen at high-end Tokyo restaurants.
It is the third time that Mr Kiyoshi Kimura, president of Kiyomura Co, owner of Sushi Zanmai restaurant paid the highest amount in fish auction at Tsukiji. He previously paid 14 million yen for a 200-kg fish. In 2013, Kimura did pay record 154.4 million yen for a 222-kilogram tuna. Kimura has won the bidding every year since 2012.
“It was a little more expensive than expected, but it’s the highest quality for its shape, color and fat. I want our customers to be happy. It was the last auction at Tsukiji so there were many people there, and I feel everyone in the auction was deeply moved” Mr Kiyoshi Kimura told reporters.
Now, these local Japanese restaurant owners are starting a habit of over-paying at the first auction of the year. It is part of a superstition called “goshugi soba”that acts as a wish for a good market year ahead.
Certainly, none of us will pay $117,000 for a tuna. But remember to visit SushiZanmai in your next Tokyo trip, you may get a chance to eat one of those most expensive fishes in the world. Backed by more than 20 years of experience in Japan, Sushi Zanmai possesses extensive expertise for raw materials selection.
You can easily find the best sushi in Tokyo at SushiZanmai restaurant in the below list:
Sushi Zanmai Outlets:
– Sunway Pyramid (03-7492 3080)
– The Gardens Mall (03-2282 1160)
– 1 Utama New Wing (03-7724 2030)
– Low Yat Plaza (03-2148 2180)
– Fahrenheit 88 (03-2143 1030)
– 1 Mont’ Kiara (03-6201 8010)
– Paradigm Mall (03-7491 0250)
– Avenue K (03-2181 8810)
– Main Place USJ (03-8011 3855)
– DPulze Cyberjaya (03-8601 0977)
– IOI City Mall (03-8213 1570)
– Nu Sentral (03-2276 2750)
– Gurney Paragon Mall (04-218 9300)
– The Shore, Melaka (06-292 2828)
– Komtar JBCC (07-300 5035)
– Suria Sabah (088-485 118)
Hokkaido Sushi Outlets:
– 1 Utama Old Wing (03-7727 1030)
Ozen Zanmai Outlets:
– The Gardens Mall (03-2282 6160)